Image courtesy of BAM International bv
Netherlands-based BAM International has successfully driven in the first pile at the new LNG (liquid natural gas) jetty in Aqaba, Jordan. The project is proceeding as scheduled and hand-over to client, the Aqaba Development Corporation (ADC), is expected in April 2015.
The scope of work for the new LNG jetty includes a 100-metre trestle on steel piles, a concrete off-loading platform of 20 x 20 metres, four mooring dolphins and two breasting dolphins.
The project further comprises a 700-metre long gas pipeline to the shore tie-in point, as well as associated control equipment and instrumentation.
Image courtesy of BAM International bv
The development of the terminal area, including roads and two buildings, also forms part of the contract. The substructure works for the terminal building are nearing completion, and the substructure works for the administration building have commenced.
Together with its sister company, BAM Contractors from Ireland, and its Jordanian joint-venture partner MAG Engineering & Contracting Co, BAM International was originally awarded the Engineering, Procurement and Construction of the LNG jetty in November 2013. BAM Infraconsult is involved in the design of the civil works.
This is the third project for BAM in Aqaba. The joint venture has already successfully completed the New Port in Aqaba for the same client earlier this year and the extension of the Container Terminal for APMT and ADC in 2013.
By Gail Taylor
The Mayor of London announced an innovative new scheme on Friday that will see waste heat captured from the capital’s underground train tunnels and used to warm hundreds of homes in the city. The first of its kind in Europe, the scheme is hoped to cut fuel bills as well as lowering pollution. According to Islington Council, it is estimated that “carbon emissions will fall by more than 500 tons annually” as a result.
The project – a partnership between London’s Mayor Boris Johnson, Islington Council, UK Power Networks and Transport for London – comes as part of the Mayor’s sustainability drive in the capital. The system will make use of Islington Council’s pioneering Bunhill Heat and Power network, which currently supplies over 700 homes in the borough with greener heating and is forecast to reduce heating costs for locals.
An expansion of this network will ensure the utilisation of two major sources of wasted heat: from a London Underground ventilation shaft, and from a UK Power Networks sub-station. A further 500 homes will be connected to Islington’s heat network as a result.
The Mayor of London’s Senior Advisor on Environment and Energy, Matthew Pencharz, said: “We need to do everything possible to create a more secure, cost-effective and sustainable heat and power supply for London. By supporting locally sourced energy and heat networks which can reduce bills and lower carbon emissions, we can not only save money but also drive innovation, jobs and growth in this burgeoning sector.”
Leader of the Council, Cllr Richard Watts, stated: “The expanded Bunhill Heat Network will cut energy bills for hundreds more local people. With energy prices going up and up, it’s vital we do what we can to cut bills. It’s all part of the Council’s work to help people manage the rising cost of living. Last winter was one of the coldest for decades and record energy prices meant many families on fixed incomes spent it in misery, unsure whether to heat or eat.”
Islington Council’s executive member for sustainability, Cllr Rakhia Ismail, said: “Recycling heat from London Underground and the electrical network are exciting new ideas and a boost to our work to tackle fuel poverty and make Islington a fairer place. This cheaper energy scheme is greener too – local communities will see CO2 emissions drop by around over 500 tonnes each year.”
It appears that once again commercial considerations have scuppered the EU’s energy aspirations as the Nabucco Pipeline Project is rejected in favour of the Trans-Adriatic Pipeline (TAP). On Wednesday afternoon Gerhard Roiss, the CEO of OMV, the Austrian energy company that led the Nabucco Project, conceded that their proposal was not to be the one chosen by the Shah Deniz consortium to transport gas from Azerbaijan to central Europe.
The project comes as part of a $25 Billion development by the Shah Deniz consortium to utilize Azerbaijan’s extensive gas fields. The Shah Deniz consortium is made up of BP, Norway’s Statoil and Azerbaijan’s national energy company SOCAR and appears to have selected the proposal made by the TAP consortium of Germany’s E. On and the Swiss company Axpo, with the announcement itself scheduled for Friday.
While the European Commission did not officially favour either proposal, the Nabucco pipeline, which was to be one of Europe’s most ambitious infrastructure projects, was widely considered favourable to the EU as a method of diversifying Europe’s energy sources and thus reducing their dependency on Russian gas. The winning Trans-Adriatic Pipeline will run through Greece, Albania and under the Adriatic sea to Italy, a distance 450km shorter than the Nabucco pipeline which was designed to run through Bulgaria, Romania, Hungry and ending in Austria.
The EU was believed to have favoured Nabucco’s proposal because of its ability to better supply the countries in Europe’s Southern Corridor that are almost exclusively dependent on gas from Russia. This comes at a time when Moscow continues to push forward with its plans to secure its influence in the region with its proposed South Stream, a gas pipeline running through Bulgaria, Greece, Austria and Italy that was intended to rival the Nabucco pipeline.
The TAP proposal is believed to have been favoured not only because it is shorter and cheaper to construct, but also because of the higher gas prices available in Italy and Greece than are possible in the markets that the Nabucco pipeline was to accommodate.